What are we doing?
The SA Muslims COVID-19 Response Task Team is a Multi-Disciplinary task team established by various South African Muslims organisations to co-ordinate a coherent Muslim community response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The purpose of this forum is to act as a nerve-centre, disseminating useful resources and other information about COVID-19 and to coordinate relief efforts by faith-based NGOs to affected communities.
The Task Team will:
- Act as a nerve center for information flow to the Muslim Community
- Collate and disseminate models of online learning to assist learning in public schools and madrassahs across the country to move online through audio or video platforms.
- Monitor and intervene with unethical business practices.
- Facilitate information and models to assist SMMES across the country to move online where possible through eCommerce platforms and other support mechanisms as required
- Conceptualise and advocate for government public policy responses that minimize the impact of the virus on vulnerable communities, SMME’s; the poor and the working class.
- Co-ordinate with the Islamic Medical Association and the Gift of the Givers Task Team on COVID-19 to minimize the duplication of resources in responding to this crisis.
The SA Muslim COVID-19 Response Team is jointly coordinated by Mickaeel Collier and Muhammad Cajee and will execute its mandate through the following Clusters:
- Welfare and Relief
- Public Education
- Business Mobilisation & Infrastructure
- Public Health
- Politics, Economics, Statistics & Modelling
- Media and Communications
- Student Formation
This task team represents multiple disciplines across various professional and societal sectors and includes the individuals below.
MEMBERS OF THE SA MUSLIM COVID-19 RESPONSE TASK TEAM
|Mickaeel Collier – Coordinator|
|Muhammad Cajee – Coordinator|
|Moulana Abdul Khaliq Allie||Ulama – MJC|
|Moulana Mohammed Vaid||Ulama –|
|Moulana Asad Pandor||Ulama – Jamiat Ulama SA|
|Shauket Fakie||Welfare and Relief|
|Dr. Zameer Brey||Public Health|
|Dr. Yakub Esak||Public Health|
|Haroon Kalla||Business & Infrastructure|
|Ebrahim Patel||Business & Infrastructure|
|Irshaad Vawda||Business & Infrastructure|
|Ebrahim Fakir||Politics, Economics, Statistics & Modelling|
|Rashad Amra||Politics, Economics, Statistics & Modelling|
|Kashief Wicomb||Politics, Economics, Statistics & Modelling|
|Feroza Mohideen||Politics, Economics, Statistics & Modelling|
|Thembisa Fakude||Politics, Economics, Statistics & Modelling|
|Prof Khadijah Moloi||Public Education|
|Hoosen Essof||Public Education|
|Shanaaz Ebrahim||Media and Communications|